Forum Archive rebuild progress

What's happening at Small Flying Arts
Site Admin (Dave)
Site Admin

Gold, Jerry! Gold!!!

Postby Site Admin (Dave) » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:13 am

I had the good fortune to stumble across a publicly accessible folder online while scouring the net for anything related to the Archives over the weekend. The folder contained 2222 images - more of half of which came from the time of the Forum Archive I'm/I've rebuilding/rebuilt (2003-2008) AND which I do not have yet!!! :ugeek:

I still need to rename them as they were saved in "fuskers" file name format (auto incremented value added to start of each file name but no big deal). Once that's done they will be uploaded to the Archive. 8-)

Bargle

Re: Forum Archive rebuild progress

Postby Bargle » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:48 pm

Yay! Really looking forward to seeing the Archives again.

faif2d

Postby faif2d » Tue Nov 29, 2016 1:02 pm

Dave I really hate to bother but can we have another update? I really want to go through all of that information, there was some really good info there.

Site Admin (Dave)
Site Admin

Postby Site Admin (Dave) » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:23 am

Sure. :)

My image source came through yesterday and sent me a whole bunch of images I didn't have. I'm uploading them now. Still a whole bunch are missing but I did discover that some of the images from the Archive were saved to the old site gallery with the same file name, although heavily reduced in size, so they may have to do for now. I also found several hundred more images which don't seem to belong to any topic I have, so that may mean they came from the times the Archive got lost and was rebuilt from pieces.

I can tell you this is the most complete rebuild of the Archive possible from 2003-2008. :)

faif2d

Postby faif2d » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:13 pm

Could you please give us the latest status??

Site Admin (Dave)
Site Admin

Postby Site Admin (Dave) » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:39 am

I have gathered over 10,000 images of the 36,000 odd images that were posted.
I am currently trying to recover as much as I can but Christmas with the kids home is taking a priority until after the family gathering and present opening rituals. ;)

faif2d

Postby faif2d » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:14 am

Thank you for the update and bringing back the site!!

faif2d

Postby faif2d » Mon Dec 26, 2016 4:30 pm

While looking for a document yesterday I found a bunch of photos from 2 computers ago. I will wait until you get the verbiage posted at which point I should be able to e mail them to you with where they go. Just a heads up.

Site Admin (Dave)
Site Admin

Postby Site Admin (Dave) » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:28 pm

If you saved them with their original file name - I can drop them into the images folder and they will appear. :)

g_kandylakis
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece and Tuttlingen Baden Württemberg

Postby g_kandylakis » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:53 am

Hi from me as well.

I do not know the exact process and difficulties ( I can certainly imagine they are more than plenty...) but would it not be possible to release the archives before everything is in position and perfect ?

From what I understand it may take quite a lot of time before all or most images are recovered. A 60% job now might be better that a 90% job a few months later...

Plus, we might be able to contribute. For example I still have all images I ever posted, so I could resend them if I see them missing

Yes, we are eager and impatient... :D

Thanks from me too.

George
free flight & micro RC

Return to “News”