Postby kittyfritters » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:13 am

The Black Sheep Squadron
Again Commemorates
"The Date That Will Live In Infamy"
with our famous
Pearl Harbor NoCal Contest

Luther Middle School Gym, in Burbank, 12/8/2017. 6-9 PM

The usual rules:

Open to NoCal models of aircraft present in the Hawaiian Islands at the time of the Pearl Harbor attack. (See List)
Legal No-Cal models,stick and tissue, profile, "recognizable scale models", 16" wingspan max.
Total best 2 flights your score. Unlimited attempts unless crowded airspace dictates otherwise. 10 second ROG bonus.
Prizes, corny Hawaiian music, leis, etc., will be provided

Ira Ratner, a real Hawaiian will be special guest.

See you there!
Attachments
Pearl_Harbor_2.png
Pearl_Harbor_2.png (307.8 KiB) Viewed 29179 times
Ubi sublata omnia praecepta legis

kittyfritters

Re: Black Sheep Squadron Pearl Harbor No-Cal Contest

Postby kittyfritters » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:55 pm

The Pearl Harbor No Cal contest was not well attended this year. Unfortunately, I'm afraid that the fires in the area had something to do with that.

Here is the review of the event that Dave Gee posted on another forum.

In attempt to meet the massive demand for information on the results of this contest, here is a shot of the competitors.

Pearl_Harbor_2017.jpg
Pearl_Harbor_2017.jpg (221.99 KiB) Viewed 29139 times

Central is Howard Littman, producer of excellent cottage-industry laser-cut kits. The Zero is held by Pete Basone, who has risen from newbie to formidable competitor. On the left is well-known expert builder Don Butman. Not holding a model is Don Smith, vice pres of the Black Sheep Sqdn.

My little A-12 (right) managed to eke out a win, despite being totally destroyed once and heavily damaged twice. 8 grams originally, now somewhat heavier due to glue on the broken places.

Boxes of genuine Hawaiian chocolate-covered macadamia nuts for all...

-Dave
basking in glory

Dave's A-12 pushed the limits of the notion of "recognizable scale" in a No Cal. Pete also flew one of my Buffalo kits that had been built by Don Butman and put up in the club raffle at the last meeting. It was flying better than mine but his Zero had landing gear and had a 10 second per flight ROG bonus added to its score. The ROG bonus rule in this club makes it advantageous to fly something with landing gear.

In the photo I'm holding one of my P-36 No Cal prototypes that I have been flying in this contest for the past 3 years. It never does as well as my similarly aged Brewster Buffalo No Cal but it took me a while to get my Buffalo re trimmed that evening. When I finally did, and had it circling around at the apex of the arched ceiling when it made a carrier landing on the back of one of the #$@% LED light boxes they now have hanging from the gym ceiling. Dave knocked it down with his retrieval pole but broke a wing off doing it. It didn't matter since I need to build a new one with my new tissue skins (and landing gear) anyway.

The actual finishing order was:

1. Dave Gee A-12
2. Pete Bassone Zero
3. Don Smith Wildcat
4. Don Butman Wildcat
5. Howard Littman Buffalo

Still, it was fun and my wife likes chocolate covered macadamia nuts.

kittyfritters

Postby kittyfritters » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:01 pm

Well, another year has passed and we are in December again.

On Friday, December 13, the Black Sheep Exhibition Squadron will hold it's annual Pearl Harbor No-Cal contest at the Boys & Girls Club San Fernando, 11251 Glenoaks Blvd, Pacoima, CA 91331.

The contest will be from 7 to 9 PM. It is open to No-Cal models of any aircraft that was present in the Hawaiian Islands at the time of the Pearl Harbor attack. (Not necessarily combat aircraft there is an official list. The following link has the military aircraft. http://www.ww2pacific.com/aaf41.html)

They must be "legal" No-Cals (Max 16" span) and there will be a 10 second bonus if the model can ROG.

Non-club members are welcome and eligible for prizes. (However, we will (gently) try to get you to join.)

KF

kittyfritters

Postby kittyfritters » Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:34 am

The Pearl Harbor NoCal contest was held on December 13 at the Boy's and Girl's Club in Sylmar. This was the best venue we could obtain this year and we used it despite the looming presence of the infamous "Sikorsky" fan on the ceiling. On my best flight I managed to contact the fan twice without damaging the model or ending the flight.

Sikorsky_2019.jpg
Sikorsky_2019.jpg (384.43 KiB) Viewed 27331 times

There were, as usual, more models than modelers, but we had fun anyway and the competition was spirited. The selection of subjects was dominated by the Japanese this year with three Zeros and a Val. There were two Wildcats, a P-40, my Brewster Buffalo, and Dave Gee's B-12. Gary Acord's P-40 is the very pretty all Depron foam version that has flown very well in the past but was off trim this night. There was the issue of the legality of all foam NoCals but the CD accepted it. It took Dave a while to get the B-12 trimmed but it turned in a surprisingly good performance. I flew my F2A with the landing gear that I had attached for the OFFC NoCal contest in October. The 10 second ROG bonus was in effect but looking at the score sheet it was obvious that the finishing order would have been the same without it.

Pearl_2019_Models.jpg
Pearl_2019_Models.jpg (377.86 KiB) Viewed 27331 times

The results were:

1. Bill Watson........Zero.............184.12
  2. Don Smith.........Wildcat.........117.48
  3. Pete Basone.......Zero.............109.10
  4. Howard Littman...Buffalo.........104.70
  5. Dave Gee...........B-12............ 95.20
  6. Don Butman........Wildcat..........73.40
  7. Luke Napier....... Zero..............70.30
  8. Gary Acord......... P-40............ 20.00

Don Butman also brought a Val and a Zero but they did not do as well as his Wildcat.

All the contestants received the traditional box of chocolate covered macadamia nuts.

kittyfritters

Postby kittyfritters » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:11 am

Here's the Group Picture.

Pearl_2019_Group_smaller.jpg
Pearl_2019_Group_smaller.jpg (330.12 KiB) Viewed 27329 times

Return to “Events”