Lockheed Altair

Find out what our readers have on their building boards
Tim H

Re: Lockheed Altair

Postby Tim H » Sun May 07, 2017 7:31 pm

I have done a little more detail on the stab and elevators. The stab leading edge is white which I did by masking and hand painting. Then I needed an elevator separation line which I would usually just draw on with a pen, but on dark blue it needed to be lighter so that was masked and painted in light grey. Finally the decorative lines are cut from decal paper like the other white markings.

I'm hoping to do some trimming soon as the weather Roman promised seems to be arriving and the grass is growing :D

Tim
Attachments
IMG_1711.JPG
IMG_1711.JPG (240.59 KiB) Viewed 21796 times
IMG_1712.JPG
IMG_1712.JPG (292.13 KiB) Viewed 21796 times
IMG_1713.JPG
IMG_1713.JPG (253.39 KiB) Viewed 21796 times
IMG_1714.JPG
IMG_1714.JPG (295.79 KiB) Viewed 21796 times

Tim H

Postby Tim H » Thu May 11, 2017 7:37 pm

The Altair flies (sort of)!

The promised Swiss weather arrived yesterday so I went out to the field just before sunset to try some trimming. I am quite pleased with the initial results although I have a lot more to do. I learnt a lot in a short time (this is my first electric model so it's a lot of new stuff all at once). Here is a pic of our field and a short video of one flight attempt which was fairly typical.

https://youtu.be/PwumBPsnlps Sorry that it starts blurred, the camera was around my neck and focused on the model, then takes its time to adjust.
Attachments
IMG_1719.JPG
IMG_1719.JPG (341.19 KiB) Viewed 21759 times

g_kandylakis
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece and Tuttlingen Baden Württemberg

Postby g_kandylakis » Fri May 12, 2017 6:34 pm

Hi Tim,

In static it looks pretty impessive. In flying it seems to be off to a good start. Rather brave of you to toss it outside, on the plus side there are no walls or tables, a little more grass would be more reassuring. It is a pity you only ordered swiss weather from Roman. He could have chiped in some tall grass too...

Seriously though, it looks very promising. Try to force it a little more to the right (wing weight, slightly more thrust, aileron tabs ?) until it you see it going straight. Then start running after it...

George
free flight & micro RC

Tim H

Postby Tim H » Tue May 16, 2017 11:25 pm

Hi George, It wasn't that brave to give it a go in our field, the grass in the middle is long enough to cushion landings. The pic is taken from the gate and is NOT where you want to land. If I turned left there and took a pic you would see a huge manure pile which is also not a good place to land :lol: .

What is your opinion on trying to go right instead of left? I was edging the rudder back bit by bit and at one point went too far and it did a right hand circuit and looked as good if not slightly better than going left. would you keep the right thrust setting (about 5deg as recommended by Rich Crossley) or change that if going right? I really need another evening at the field to try some of these things but sadly rain and wind has returned so no flying here for the moment.

Where are you up to with your Spad project? I remembered that earlier and wondered what happened to it.

Have done a little more on the Altair; wing walks added.
Attachments
IMG_1724.JPG
IMG_1724.JPG (289.06 KiB) Viewed 21695 times
IMG_1725.JPG
IMG_1725.JPG (313.01 KiB) Viewed 21695 times

rgroener

Postby rgroener » Wed May 17, 2017 2:49 pm

Tim
Your Lockheed Altair looks fabulous! The finish is just amazing. I hope that I can see it sometime. Do you plan to go to Nijegen this year? If yes, maybe I will get a chance.
The flight looks quite good. I am sure you can sort out the trimming soon.
Sorry about the grass. Next time we have to discuss your order for swiss weather a bit more detailed. Sure I could send you some soft grass next time:-)
Best regards Roman

Tim H

Postby Tim H » Thu May 18, 2017 10:43 pm

Hi Roman,
Thanks for the nice comments! Pete and I are planning to go to Nijmegen again this November so it would be great if you could get there too.

I was very pleased with the quality of the weather you sent but I was a bit disappointed with the quantity; two days is just not enough and it is a bit mean of you to keep months and months of blue skies with no wind all to yourself! Next time please send more :D .

And grass, lots and lots of nice long soft grass please......

How are your projects coming on? I have seen your Tiger Moth on HPA. Anything else on the building board?

Regards,
Tim

g_kandylakis
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece and Tuttlingen Baden Württemberg

Postby g_kandylakis » Sun May 21, 2017 7:03 am

Hi Tim,

I must say I am not a great fun of right flying models, although it is mainly a personal preference.

This does not mean that you should not try it, if the model seems to go better that way. Whatevere keeps it off the walls and long enough away from the ground/floor/manure is good.

Looking at the video again, I would try some weight for the right wing, to keep it from lifting and use the rudder for turn adjustment accordingly.

The finish is excellent, by the way...

George

PS. My Spad is under long term storage. Other projects have gained priority: I need to build a new CO2 model, a new F4D one and a new electric one to replace my d.H.9 within this decade...
free flight & micro RC

rgroener

Postby rgroener » Sun May 21, 2017 11:06 am

Tim, I am sorry that I was not able to send you more of the nice weather.
Also in switzerland, nice weather is limited. I sent you as much as possible. I had to keep some of it back otherwise swiss people would get angry about it.
I try to organise some of our soft grass for your next delivery;-)

Beside the Tiger Moth, I have a OV-10 Bronco on the building board but this project has stalled a bit since I am not sure about how to mold the big canopy. I first have to build a vacuum box...
There are also some catapult launched gliders on the desk and a hand launched glider. But they are nearly finished.

I plan to go to Nijmegen this year. Lets hope that work will not cross my plans. At the moment its a bit unpredictable.... But I am still optimistic and looking forward to see you all again. Do you plan to take the Altair to this event?

Roman

Tim H

Postby Tim H » Tue May 23, 2017 12:19 am

rgroener wrote: Do you plan to take the Altair to this event?

That's the plan! If I can get it to fly properly outside first of course.

rgroener

Postby rgroener » Fri May 26, 2017 9:24 am

Great, cant wait to see it.
I am sure you can trim it. It looks promising to me.
Roman

Return to “Construction Projects”