Polikarpov PO-2

Find out what our readers have on their building boards
Monz

Polikarpov PO-2

Postby Monz » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:50 pm

This will be for next year's Indoor Scale Nats' Open Rubber class. I bought the Flying Scale Models plan that was in the Jan 2004 issue, which at 24th scale is 18" span. That's a bit small, so I doubled it!

Mike Stuart flew a beautiful 30" span De Havilland Fox Moth to first place this year in Open Rubber, and with my DVII in Kit Scale, the large and light equals slow and realistic formula was proven. I think we will be seeing many more larger and lighter models competing indoors in the future.

I've not decided yet whether I'll be modelling the Shuttleworth or Weeks PO-2, I have great colour documentation for both so will probably decide later on in the build.

I must thank Peter Fardell for lending me his books for this build.

Monz

Re: Polikarpov PO-2

Postby Monz » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:53 pm

Looking over the various references I have and comparing them to the plan, the plan is inaccurate. Surprise! I spent some time drawing the corrections onto the plan with a cold one.

Monz

Postby Monz » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:57 pm

Managed a bit this evening after work. As the plan is doubled, I'm doubling only certain areas. The original 18" span called for 1/16th sheet sides, I've gone with the same size on mine. The fuselage stringers are 1/8th. I plan to use the wood sparingly where I can to have some weight in the bank for detailing. Little things like aluminium sheet panels ;)

g_kandylakis
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece and Tuttlingen Baden Württemberg

Postby g_kandylakis » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:16 pm

Great to see you here again Monique !

Looking like an interesting build. You are right aboth the light /slow models. wish you every success and will be watching for more progress reports...

George
free flight & micro RC

oldgit

Postby oldgit » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:30 am

Monz,

Why not use 1/16th stringers?
That way you can use 4 times as many for a given volume or is it that you require the extra rigidity that 1/8th section would provide for your model?

Eagerly awaiting the next instalment of the build.

Roger

Monz

Postby Monz » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:13 am

Hi George, good to see you here too. Look forward to seeing your builds.

Hi Roger, I fear 1/16th would be too small on the fuselage for this size model.

Pete Fardell

Postby Pete Fardell » Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:25 pm

Hi Monz- great to see you posting on here. I shall really enjoy following this! I read on another forum (where I've been lurking a bit) that you heard Kevin Wallace state that he'd never seen a model PO2 fly well. I really can't believe there is any reason why it won't though. At 36" inch span I reckon yours will need nailing down to stop it being a real performer!

Here's the video Tim took of my 18" as-plan version, at Nottingham a few years ago.
https://youtu.be/HOai4JE8ufs
It flies quite well for a little while at least!
It's not had a great record indoors, with either the walls or the takeoff usually foiling it but I always feel it's got potential. I'm going to try it outdoors for the first time at Port Meadow tomorrow. I'm not sure if it will cope, but at any rate they'll be no ROG required and no brick walls either!

RussLista

Postby RussLista » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:44 pm

Made it on here at last (though I have been a member since 2004 I suppose) .... I also will follow this one with interest.
Good to see you on a forum again.

Monz

Postby Monz » Sat Nov 05, 2016 8:36 pm

Hey Russ! SFA was my free flight home, so I hope we can all get it back to where it was.

Slow progress on this. Spent some time today getting the fuselage cross members and formers in. Hope to get the 1/32nd sheet decking on tonight. I really need to get cracking on this to have it ready for April...

I'm finding the plan to be very inconsistent, so it's taking time to get the plan bits to match the three view. My next few models will be OD's!

g_kandylakis
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece and Tuttlingen Baden Württemberg

Postby g_kandylakis » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:41 pm

Looking forward to your progress, Monique.

I agree with Russ, it is good to have you in a forum.
You are inspiring us to try and catch up with your pace...

George
free flight & micro RC

Return to “Construction Projects”