Polikarpov PO-2

Find out what our readers have on their building boards
Tim H

Re: Polikarpov PO-2

Postby Tim H » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:31 pm

That's looking big already Monz! looking forward to seeing it all come together.

I'm having similar issues with two recently started projects. One is a kit and the other is someones plan and in both cases there are parts that don't fit and things drawn incorrectly. Much easier to do it all yourself!

Monz

Postby Monz » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:09 pm

A bit more done today. 1/32nd sheet formed on a Pringles tin. I started with paper templates, transferred to the balsa and once formed a lot of fettling here and there to get a close fit.

Pete Fardell

Postby Pete Fardell » Sun Nov 06, 2016 11:07 pm

Very tidy sheeting. I suppose you had to eat the Pringles too?

CGW

Postby CGW » Mon Nov 07, 2016 1:06 am

Monz, is Superphatic your normally go-to glue? I never had much success with it on balsa structures, although it worked well for attaching canopies, and gluing paper framework to them. I just grabbed a bottle of Elmer's Extreme School Glue at the Supermarket to assemble a laser cut plywood toy for the grandkids. I think that if I ever build a model airplane again, that'll be the glue I'll use from now on.

art.

Monz

Postby Monz » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:41 pm

Pete Fardell wrote: I suppose you had to eat the Pringles too?

I did Pete, I couldn't just leave them in that tube, all alone.

Monz

Postby Monz » Mon Nov 07, 2016 5:44 pm

CGW wrote:Monz, is Superphatic your normally go-to glue? I never had much success with it on balsa structures, although it worked well for attaching canopies, and gluing paper framework to them. I just grabbed a bottle of Elmer's Extreme School Glue at the Supermarket to assemble a laser cut plywood toy for the grandkids. I think that if I ever build a model airplane again, that'll be the glue I'll use from now on.

art.

Hey Art, I'm still getting used to the Superphatic and seeing where it works and doesn't. So far I'd only use it to laminate sheet or strips. It's not all it says on the tin, but then it's the same with most of the Deluxe Materials range. The Aliphatic 'resin' so far is pretty good, albeit expensive.

staubkorb

Postby staubkorb » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:37 pm

You beat me to it Monz! I haven't developed much of a fondness to any of the Deluxe products - other than the yellowish Alipathic. That rather small bottle is pretty expensive here @ EUR 6.95 and a buddy has tried the WB EZE Kote 1 resin (acryl. base, I suppose and VERY expensive!). He says it's GREAT...
Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!

T_om

Postby T_om » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:55 pm

I have generally found all the Deluxe Products materials to be over priced and under performing. For wood joints I used regular old TiteBond for years but now changed over to TiteBond Translucent. It has a MUCH faster "grab" time, dries clear, and is sandable.

Monz

Postby Monz » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:32 pm

staubkorb wrote:You beat me to it Monz! I haven't developed much of a fondness to any of the Deluxe products - other than the yellowish Alipathic. That rather small bottle is pretty expensive here @ EUR 6.95 and a buddy has tried the WB EZE Kote 1 resin (acryl. base, I suppose and VERY expensive!). He says it's GREAT...

Yup, I've bought a few products to try. I've got the lite filler which is still to be tested. The aliphatic is nice, just too pricey. Doubt I'll buy any of the other products, my 25c a bottle of superglue works just as well as the much more expensive branded stuff :)

T_om wrote:I have generally found all the Deluxe Products materials to be over priced and under performing. For wood joints I used regular old TiteBond for years but now changed over to TiteBond Translucent. It has a MUCH faster "grab" time, dries clear, and is sandable.

I'll see if I can find some of that here, could you post a pic of the bottle?

I've been laminating. All the flying surface tips are curved laminations. I use Depron for the forms, using a waterbased glue the balsa pops off once dry.

The stab and rudder lams were all 3/32 x 1/32 stripped from a sheet of 3/32. I soaked these in hot water in a wine bottle (I did have to empty the bottle first of course ;) ). For the wing tips I stripped 1/32 lengths from a sheet of 5mm. I cut these by hand with a ruler and knife and they ended up having a half decent curve so I used them dry around the forms. I used aliphatic thinned about 50/50 with water brushed onto the lams. It capillaried nicely into the joints.

The wing tips are drying now.

T_om

Postby T_om » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:39 pm

Here is a shot of TiteBond's new Translucent Wood Glue. I have used it for several builds now and it works very well.

Tom

TiteBond Translucent Wood Glue.jpg
TiteBond Translucent Wood Glue.jpg (248.84 KiB) Viewed 9135 times

Return to “Construction Projects”