Herr Pitts Special

Find out what our readers have on their building boards
Monz

Herr Pitts Special

Postby Monz » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:37 am

Started this yesterday evening, it's the Herr kit which I'm modifying into Betty Skelton's Lil Stinker N22E.

The laser cut sheet is all very nice stuff, but the strip wood is all quite heavy so I'll be replacing that as I go. I've redrawn the wings for scale rib spacing which meant cutting a few extra.

This time of year is quiet in my industry so it's good to be getting some building in.

faif2d

Re: Herr Pitts Special

Postby faif2d » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:34 am

I see the black on the outside of the parts is gone. Did you sand it off or have you found a better way. I always liked cutting the parts out but the laser parts do fit together nicely.

Monz

Postby Monz » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:15 am

faif2d wrote:I see the black on the outside of the parts is gone. Did you sand it off or have you found a better way. I always liked cutting the parts out but the laser parts do fit together nicely.

They must have turned the laser down on this one as there was only slight discolouring of the balsa, not even burn marks, so just the lightest of sanding with fine paper took it off which was a pleasant surprise.

rgroener

Postby rgroener » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:12 am

Monique, great new project.
I built a peanut Pitts, but had some problems with the trimming.
It might be my fault, since it is not as light as it should be. I like the shape of the Pitts and want to build another one one time.
I will follow your build and look forward to see it coming along.

Roman

staubkorb

Postby staubkorb » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:37 am

HUUUUUH! You finally got one! Seeing this means I'll have to dig my kit out (rather large box buried under a BIG stack of smaller kits).

Might even start to build it... ;)

How are you planning to power it?
Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!

Monz

Postby Monz » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:32 pm

rgroener wrote:Monique, great new project.
I built a peanut Pitts, but had some problems with the trimming.
It might be my fault, since it is not as light as it should be. I like the shape of the Pitts and want to build another one one time.
I will follow your build and look forward to see it coming along.

Roman

It seems sometimes they are difficult to trim, especially at peanut size, this one at 24" and hopefully built light will be one that is easy! I'm replacing the wood for the spats as this is 25g alone!! I think I'll make them from blue foam ;)

Monz

Postby Monz » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:37 pm

staubkorb wrote:HUUUUUH! You finally got one! Seeing this means I'll have to dig my kit out (rather large box buried under a BIG stack of smaller kits).

Yeah Pete, finally! I was actually given this one by a guy here that sells kits after he heard I was after one. Only condition of the gift was that I build it, soooo, tadaaaa ;)

When you build yours (or if you don't, I'll buy it from you :D ) check the strip wood carefully. Some of it is as if Guillows snuck in to the factory at night and got rid of his some iron wood :lol: :lol: The spats are also way heavy. The kerf allowance is much better on this kit than on the DVII too so it seems to be going together well so far, fus is next.

Monz

Postby Monz » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:48 am

Been busy with the fus. I made a balls up building the two sides cos I didn't read the plan properly. I had to cut out all the verticals and replace them with the formers. Doh!

I've also sheeted the front of the fus and covered the turtle deck with paper to give a more scale look. I've made the stringers on the sides stand proud of the formers to look like the real thing too. The cowl, which I'm about to tackle will also be sheeted.

staubkorb

Postby staubkorb » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:45 pm

Monz wrote:
staubkorb wrote:HUUUUUH! You finally got one! Seeing this means I'll have to dig my kit out (rather large box buried under a BIG stack of smaller kits).

Yeah Pete, finally! I was actually given this one by a guy here that sells kits after he heard I was after one. Only condition of the gift was that I build it, soooo, tadaaaa ;)

When you build yours (or if you don't, I'll buy it from you :D ) check the strip wood carefully. Some of it is as if Guillows snuck in to the factory at night and got rid of his some iron wood :lol: :lol: The spats are also way heavy. The kerf allowance is much better on this kit than on the DVII too so it seems to be going together well so far, fus is next.

I got mine at the semi-annual modelers fleamarket, and the previous owner had released all of the parts from the backing sheets :o . As you know, the box itself is NOT secure, with openings at the corners (folded/interlocking rather than glued), so I'm not sure if all the tiny parts are there...

I'll dig it out as soon as I finish my A-26 (ALMOST done).

I see you've lit the afterburners :D !
Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!

Tim H

Postby Tim H » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:38 am

Really good and really fast as usual Monz. Mark Brill was trimming one of these at Clayton Green last Sat and it was starting to go well.
Here are a couple of pics of it.
Attachments
IMG_1535.JPG
IMG_1535.JPG (375.85 KiB) Viewed 13581 times
IMG_1536.JPG
IMG_1536.JPG (330.21 KiB) Viewed 13581 times

Return to “Construction Projects”