Satellite - Beginner's Model

Find out what our readers have on their building boards
kittyfritters

Satellite - Beginner's Model

Postby kittyfritters » Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:10 am

The OD-17, The Plain Plane, is turning out to be so successful that I've decided to join it with two more "beginner's models" in my line of kits. The next one is called the "Satellite". The first prototype is in flight testing. I want to get it, and the next one, a biplane called "Double Trouble" in production in time for Christmas shopping. My recovery from surgery took a little backslide but I am making progress again.

photo(9).JPG
photo(9).JPG (138.07 KiB) Viewed 19113 times

photo(8).JPG
photo(8).JPG (138.13 KiB) Viewed 19113 times

Now is that cute or what?
Ubi sublata omnia praecepta legis

staubkorb

Re: Satellite - Beginner's Model

Postby staubkorb » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:42 am

Really neat, Howard! I'm hoping to finally get the Brewster finished for the contest in Nijmegen next month - that is, if I manage to get my health and financial issues under control. Has been a rather difficult year for me also.
Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!

kittyfritters

Postby kittyfritters » Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:11 pm

The Satellite is undergoing more development. The wing and tail surface outlines have been modified, and I have built a low wing version to test. If it flies as well, the production version will be produced. Just a matter of style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2hll5jKJME

kittyfritters

Postby kittyfritters » Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:12 pm

Although delayed by the holidays, the low wing version is again under construction and should be flying this week.
Attachments
photo(93).JPG
photo(93).JPG (153.07 KiB) Viewed 18821 times

kittyfritters

Postby kittyfritters » Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:32 am

Got the tissue on but it is too humid to shrink it and apply Krylon. Will have to wait until the Black Sheep Friday night at Luther to fly it indoors and the FAC contest on Sunday to fly it outside.
Attachments
photo(93).JPG
photo(93).JPG (124.12 KiB) Viewed 18805 times

kittyfritters

Postby kittyfritters » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:15 am

The low wing version is ready for flight testing. Having a little fun with the preprinted tissue. Nose block is the same one used on the high wing prototype. Turned out to need a little weight in the tail. The high wing prototype had a solid balsa under rudder. It weighs 24 grams all up with rubber and ballast. Did a 60 foot flight in the back yard which proved the trim. First serious flying tomorrow night at Luther. Will have to make decision which version to kit.

Howard
Attachments
photo(94).JPG
photo(94).JPG (126.36 KiB) Viewed 18785 times

kittyfritters

Postby kittyfritters » Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:54 am

I took the low wing Satellite (along with several other models) to the Sepulveda Basin this morning for some tests while the FAC contest was going on. It flew but presented a few problems. It needed a degree more wing incidence, possibly slightly more dihedral, and I'm going to make another V tail to test it without the under rudder. By the end of the month I will know which one will be in kit.

photo(114).JPG
photo(114).JPG (138.51 KiB) Viewed 18758 times

kittyfritters

Postby kittyfritters » Thu Jan 18, 2018 4:26 am

I got it sorted out and it flies as well as the high wing version. There is one problem, however, with the under rudder the low wing version will not ROG. I've been told that V tails are not suitable for beginners, but I'm going to try the V tail again to get it to ROG. The issue is to make a warp free V tail that beginners can build. Back to the drawing board (computer). ;)

I want to get all the beginners kits on my web site by the end of the month so that they will qualify for the current International Postal competition in the 20 inch rubber category.

Howard

kittyfritters

Postby kittyfritters » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:37 pm

I thought that I had a production prototype all sorted out but it did some strange things at the O.F.F.C. Predicted Time/Spot Landing contest last Wednesday. It flew fine in dead air but modest breezes discombobulated it. I had to put it on the balance rig and go back to the math to make sure that it was simple for anyone to trim. A few subtle changes (You probably would not see them in a photograph.) and now it's balancing with no ballast and flying outdoors nicely. I will check the indoor performance at the O.F.F.C. meeting tomorrow. If all goes well, I'll cut one more production level prototype and if it is trouble free this weekend I will have it available on my web site next week.

Howard
(kittyfritters)

kittyfritters

Postby kittyfritters » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:27 am

Here's a video of it flying. I had a good flight indoor, chasing the penny planes around the ceiling... weighs 20 grams so it made the penny plane fliers nervous, but somehow I screwed up the video. We were chased out of the gym because they were setting up for the pre-schooler's lunch (gotta love summer vacation) so I got an outdoor flight.

I trotted out to the middle of the field, maybe faster than I should have, which caused the heavy breathing. The hard left thrust adjustment and the drag tab that I needed for the indoor flight were still on it. It was breezy and I launched a bit to far right of the wind. The model turned left, into a gust, climbed sharply, stalled and fell to the grass. I picked it up, and with the turns remaining on the motor, simply launched it again, this time to the left of the wind, resulting in the flight you see.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk8Ypfxbtfo

The production kit will be on my web site within two weeks.

Return to “Construction Projects”