Applying Tissue

Tap this resource for whatever you need to get the job done
dhable

Applying Tissue

Postby dhable » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:06 pm

I have a DVD made several years ago, featuring Bob Isaacs, AKA Duco Guru. I believe it was sponsored by SFA. (In fact I blame Bhagat Dillon for getting me into free flight but that's another story...).

In the DVD, Bob was covering an Easy Built "Debut". As he was covering, he mentioned that he always used Japanese tissue, and always covered with the "shiny side out".

My question is simple: why shiny side out? Is there some advantage to that? Or might this just be his way of making certain he was consistent in application?

John Webster

Re: Applying Tissue

Postby John Webster » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:03 am

Just guessing but it might be that the rough side attaches better to the dope on the framework and the shiny side absorbs less dope when the overall finish is applied.
You begin flying with a full bag of luck and an empty bag for experience. The object is to fill the bag of experience before you empty the bag of luck.

staubkorb

Re: Applying Tissue

Postby staubkorb » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:19 pm

I find that either way works. It also affects the final finish whether one wants to emulate gloss (metal) or a flat (fabric or camo) subject. Covering fuzzy side in does seem to stick better to the surface due to the better "tooth" and depends on the adhesive used.

It is noticeable when "mixed" - painted or not.

Last bumped by Anonymous on Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:19 pm.
Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!

Return to “Tools & Techniques”