Airbrushing and doping

Tap this resource for whatever you need to get the job done
rgroener

Airbrushing and doping

Postby rgroener » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:08 am

I have a question about airbrushing.
Do I still have to use dope on a wing if I applied acrylic paint with the airbrush?
I am wondering if the acrylic paint is sealing enough to prevent strong warping due to air humidity. I do not plan to fly in rainy weather...

Any thoughts about it?

Thanks in advance, Roman

Pete Fardell

Re: Airbrushing and doping

Postby Pete Fardell » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:25 pm

rgroener wrote:I have a question about airbrushing.
I do not plan to fly in rainy weather...

You don't ever GET any rainy weather, as we all know! :D
I don't know the answer to the question, but I would suspect that as the acrylic is water based it would shrink and colour the undoped tissue both at the same time. For me, I would expect that to cause a few problems, but perhaps not. I'm sure you'd try a test first anyway. It's an interesting idea and I'll look forward to hearing what others think.

uhu

Postby uhu » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:07 pm

maybe a little test?

g_kandylakis
Location: Thessaloniki, Greece and Tuttlingen Baden Württemberg

Postby g_kandylakis » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:57 pm

My own experience from the Swiss weather is the same as Pete describes. Hence I see no real reason for your question...

But if you do need to fly abroad, then it makes sense...

So, first I agree with about making your own tests. As for me, I always dope before spraying, regardless if acrylic or enamel (too long ago, come to think of it).
I am always amazed at how the tissue sags after spraying. It is like when during water shrinking you apply a full coat of water on the plain tissue. It then shrinks back to ok, of course.

For me the main problem is tissue pores. Without dope you will suddenly see oo many holes in the tissue finish, which you do not notice in the natural transclucent tissue finish. In order to get rid of this, you need to seal the tissue, so , yes, dope...

George

BTW, are we good for the 25th?
free flight & micro RC

rgroener

Postby rgroener » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:06 pm

You know, smart people do tests before...
Dont ask me if I belong to this group...
I just wanted you to calm me down with your comments that no additional doping is needed. :roll:
Now it seems that I have to do some tests if doping over the acrylic color is possible or if I should leave it as it is and hope the best.

About the weather, at the moment its beautiful...

@George: Everything is ready for the 25th. I will send you all an email with some additional infos soon.

Best regards Roman

Return to “Tools & Techniques”