Howard Littman Model Aircraft Dewoitine D.520

An old standby in a modern world
kittyfritters

Howard Littman Model Aircraft Dewoitine D.520

Postby kittyfritters » Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:48 pm

Just a little tease about the D.520 kit I am prototyping. If the virus crisis subsides and my balsa supplier can get back to work (They have been determined to be an unessential business in their state.) I will have it and the P-6E, my first two 1:16 scale kits, available by the middle of the year.

Start_Build_smaller.jpg
The parts interlock
Start_Build_smaller.jpg (305.17 KiB) Viewed 22219 times

Formers_In_Smaller.jpg
Formers_In_Smaller.jpg (189.2 KiB) Viewed 22219 times

Built_Straight_smaller.jpg
Notched side keels make sure it builds straight.
Built_Straight_smaller.jpg (262.93 KiB) Viewed 22219 times

Wing_Construction_smaller..jpg
Don't try ti figure it out from this picture. Hint: except for the three ribs in the center and the wing tips nothing in this picture has glue on it.
Wing_Construction_smaller..jpg (239.7 KiB) Viewed 22219 times

First_Cut_Smaller.jpg
First_Cut_Smaller.jpg (252.86 KiB) Viewed 22219 times
Ubi sublata omnia praecepta legis

kittyfritters

Re: Howard Littman Model Aircraft Dewoitine D.520

Postby kittyfritters » Tue Apr 28, 2020 6:49 pm

Since many modelers will cut a 24 X 36 plan into sections for convenience on their building board I decided to print them that way. The plans in the 1:16 scale series will be printed on two 12 X 36 strips.

D520_Plan_Smaller.jpg
D520_Plan_Smaller.jpg (190.32 KiB) Viewed 21444 times

Drafting on a computer doesn't make up for what you forget. In the first drawings I forgot to add the side keel lock tabs. They're in this version.

D520_Rear_Smaller.jpg
D520_Rear_Smaller.jpg (249.25 KiB) Viewed 21444 times

Fuselage needed a few corrections, changed some former positions in the rear of the fuselage to remove a weak spot and move the rear peg forward.

D520_Fuselage_Smaller.jpg
D520_Fuselage_Smaller.jpg (377.11 KiB) Viewed 21444 times

This iteration will be flown to check the aerodynamics. There will be a few more changes for the production version, some stringers will be re-positioned and I have to make a new mold plug for the nose block since the contours of the first one ( last version) were slightly off. There are a few small corrections needed to the wing structure.to make it easier to build and strengthen the landing gear attachment for the static builders and those who cant resist an RC conversion. The vertical tail will also have a few detail changes. That's why you build prototypes. If this were a one off, just for me, I would be satisfied with it as is.

D520_Still_Smaller.jpg
D520_Still_Smaller.jpg (337.81 KiB) Viewed 21444 times

kittyfritters

Postby kittyfritters » Sat May 16, 2020 7:27 pm

Making the master models for the molded parts has not been an easy task. I started working with blue foam and plaster filler.

Molds_smaller.jpg
Molds_smaller.jpg (123.54 KiB) Viewed 20080 times

This worked for the radiator and nose block but the canopy has been driving me to distraction. After several unsatisfactory tries I ended up with a wooden one.

Canopy_smaller.jpg
Canopy_smaller.jpg (116.95 KiB) Viewed 20080 times

Still have the supercharger air scoops, the oil cooler scoop, the under wing fairings and the fillets to go. This not the usual vacuum molding (except for the canopy) because the composite material requires a different process. I will have conventional molds in case the composite doesn’t work out and I have to vacuum mold with plastic. Seriously, would anyone rather carve the nose block and radiator themselves? Let me know.

Those of you that have ordered kits in the last few weeks have seen my new boxes. They are not just kit boxes such as you find in hobby shops but are heavy duty, corrugated cardboard mailers. They will withstand shipping and can hold up to three NoCal kits or two of the Simplified or Non-Scale kits. Of course, one of the 1:16 scale kits will fill it.

Box_smaller.jpg
Box_smaller.jpg (156.87 KiB) Viewed 20080 times

kittyfritters

Postby kittyfritters » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:55 am

I gave on the plastic nose blocks and went to wooden ones. The P-6E has a similar one with peg alignment and with wheel pants done the same way. The hole you seen for the thrust button in the front view is not the final version. The kits will come with Gizmo Geezer adjustable thrust buttons.

I have been accused of designing kits that go together like Chinese puzzles.

KF
Attachments
Nose_lam_smaller.jpg
Nose_lam_smaller.jpg (220.08 KiB) Viewed 18594 times
Back_Side.jpg
Back_Side.jpg (111.86 KiB) Viewed 18594 times

kittyfritters

Postby kittyfritters » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:17 am

There were several unanticipated delays in the month of July but progress has been made.

D.jpg
D.jpg (198.06 KiB) Viewed 18145 times

kittyfritters

Postby kittyfritters » Mon Sep 14, 2020 5:19 am

The Dewoitine D.520 is still in process despite some unanticipated delays. I got the second prototype ready for some finishing and sprayed a coat of white floral spray on it as a primer.

Paint_Day_1.jpg
Paint_Day_1.jpg (205.31 KiB) Viewed 17191 times

Paint_Day_3.jpg
Paint_Day_3.jpg (52.48 KiB) Viewed 17191 times

Primer is meant to show all flaws before final finishing and did it ever! The dictum that, "If a model is left unfinished on the bench for any length of time it will accumulate damage." was proved once more. There were several tears an holes in the tissue and rough spots that were not readily apparent before the primer was applied. Even though it is meant to be a quick and rough prototype I still will have to patch the holes and finish it.

Paint_Day_2.jpg
Paint_Day_2.jpg (173.67 KiB) Viewed 17191 times

Some of the things that were obvious before the frame was even covered have already been fixed on the drawings. For example the rear windows on this one are masked off on a single sheet of acetate whereas on the production model they will be acetate glued on laser cut, sheet balsa, infill outlines, some stringers have been relocated, there will be sheet balsa bases for the exhaust stacks and carburetor scoops and, after a quick check of the balance, the rear peg has been moved farther forward (yet again). The saga continues...

Paint_Day_4.jpg
Paint_Day_4.jpg (128.39 KiB) Viewed 17191 times

kittyfritters

Postby kittyfritters » Mon Nov 09, 2020 1:54 am

I must apologize to all my followers and customers. Due to an unexpected family medical emergency the work on bringing my 1:16 scale models into kit will be delayed until the new year. They will be in kit next year.

Keep 'Em Flying!

Howard
(kittyfritters)

Return to “Rubber Power Free Flight”