Sig Cub

An old standby in a modern world
kittyfritters

Sig Cub

Postby kittyfritters » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:28 am

Threw together a Sig Cub for a contest on Sunday. The Black Sheep Exhibition Squadron challenged the South Bay Soaring Society to a Sig Cub flyoff. It's an old timey R.O.G. with a 24 inch wing span and a relatively quick build.

I did some back yard trimming this afternoon to prepare for the flyoff and discovered that it can be trimmed to a marvelous, floaty, glide and with a motor of two loops of 3/32" Tan, Sport rubber it will climb on 50 turns! The plans call for two loops of the 1/8" that comes with the kit, way too much power! I predict some OOS flights if the weather is good.

There should be between 12 and 24 fliers on Sunday at the Grassy Knoll area of the Sepulveda Basin. If you are in the Los Angeles area on Sunday come out and enjoy the chaos.

KF
Attachments
Sig_Cub_Smaller.jpg
Sig_Cub_Smaller.jpg (366.65 KiB) Viewed 8128 times
Ubi sublata omnia praecepta legis

kittyfritters

Re: Sig Cub

Postby kittyfritters » Sun Oct 17, 2021 10:33 pm

Flew in the Sig Cub flyoff this morning. There was a good turn out from both clubs, the weather was beautiful, sunny, not too hot, and perfectly dead air. Well, the last was not ideal...no lift. Only three people broke a minute. I did 55.6 seconds. I was glad that I brought my kite pole though...treed the Sig Cub twice and my Side Effect prototype once. Unfortunately, I was too busy flying to take pictures but other people did so I will post some when I get them,

KF

kittyfritters

Re: Sig Cub

Postby kittyfritters » Thu Oct 21, 2021 4:30 am

Here is one of the pictures I promised. The Harbor Soaring Society guys took 1st and 3rd. The contest was unlimited flights to best single flight. Despite the completely dead air the three top flights were over a minute. I don't know who took this picture but he did leave at least one contestant out.
Attachments
cub contest 2+Smaller.jpg
cub contest 2+Smaller.jpg (197.46 KiB) Viewed 8040 times

Return to “Rubber Power Free Flight”