Veron "Buster"

An old standby in a modern world
Tim H

Veron "Buster"

Postby Tim H » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:32 pm

This is something I started years ago and have at last got to the finishing stage. A Veron, Steve Wittman "Buster". I started it as a possible kitscale entry but I couldn't live with the unpainted "red" esaki finish (nearer to pink in reality!).

A question for all you experts out there. I did the main lettering with painted decal paper (see Mike Stuarts website for how to do this beautifully). The tail reg, "Wittman special" and "Buster" lettering is far to small to do this way so I made some decals. A straight print of yellow on clear decal paper is useless; the yellow disappears completely. So I tried printing on white paper with a red background as shown in some of the photos, but they still look like banners on the model, the red doesn't blend in with the painted colour background. (the photos make them look better than they really are).
Does anyone know a better way?
Attachments
IMG_1447a.jpg
IMG_1447a.jpg (137.88 KiB) Viewed 17503 times
IMG_1444a.jpg
IMG_1444a.jpg (83.06 KiB) Viewed 17504 times
IMG_1443a.jpg
IMG_1443a.jpg (121.38 KiB) Viewed 17504 times

Tim H

Re: Veron "Buster"

Postby Tim H » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:33 pm

Attachments
IMG_1451a.jpg
IMG_1451a.jpg (101.3 KiB) Viewed 17503 times
IMG_1448a.jpg
IMG_1448a.jpg (95.53 KiB) Viewed 17503 times

Pete Fardell

Postby Pete Fardell » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:40 pm

That's a very nice Buster, Tim. Could be good in the pylon race!
I too would love a solution to the small yellow/white letters problem. I've sometimes tried to blend in the edges of the decal with the same paint as the background, or even to fill in the gaps between the letters with a fine brush, but it's not a very satisfactory answer. I usually print such decals in several subtly different shades too, and hope one is a better match than the others, but have never really cracked it.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (216.57 KiB) Viewed 17493 times

Tim H

Postby Tim H » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:15 pm

I did some trimming at the end of the session at Clayton Green yesterday. Here is a video of one of the flights taken by Pete Fardell. It still needs work (obviously) but is not bad for a first throw.

https://youtu.be/waRdJ0_CROs

Monz

Postby Monz » Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:56 pm

The best way I've found to do lettering like that is to stencil it onto some masking tape, cut it out and then use that as a mask for some light coats of paint. Takes a bit of patience to make the stencil.

Or, depending on your printer, run the clear decal paper through with the lettering in a light orange colour, then overprint that with the yellow, it works with a laser printer, but not sure with an inkjet's transparent yellow. There is an element of luck involved getting it to print exactly over the previous print though.

Pete Fardell

Postby Pete Fardell » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:59 pm

Looks like a pylon racer in waiting, Tim! As people can see, we eked out every minute of our allotted time in the hall, short of actually flying during the following badminton match.

Monz, I like your understated "Takes a bit of patience of make the stencil"! I might try it though.

ffscale

Postby ffscale » Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:36 pm

Nice looking Buster Tim!

Sorry for late reply - only just seen this topic. There is no easy solution to this that I can see. On a couple of models I have done what Pete suggested, and touch up between the letters with a fine brush in the same colour you sprayed, while the decal is still on the backing sheet. Then cut out as close to the yellow letters as you dare and apply. This works best for colours which stay the same shade even when you apply an extra layer of paint - e.g. my dark blue Fiat G.91. Red doesn't cover so well, so there is a chance your brushed on red will look darker than the sprayed red. Still should be closer than what you have though. This is one reason I tend to choose light coloured models with dark registrations!

Return to “Rubber Power Free Flight”