Tow-line (Vintage, Nos.)

Silent simplicity
staubkorb

Tow-line (Vintage, Nos.)

Postby staubkorb » Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:19 pm

I'm not sure of the cut-off dates for the various classes, and they differ from country to country, but here are two that I received from Ronald Borg from Sweden a few days ago.

B.G.44: An A2 class that won the WC in Graz (1952), designed by Bora-Gunic. Span: 1668mm

UPPÅT: A1 class from around 1949, designed by Rob. Löwen-Åberg. Span: 1500mm

Plans built and finished in traditional silk and (not so traditional) polyester tissue. KSB (same as Tatone) timers on both.

I was hoping they'd arrive sooner so that I could test fly them, but they came with the cold, stormy and very wet which is supposed to continue thru Saturday.
Attachments
UPPÅT.jpg
UPPÅT.jpg (336.23 KiB) Viewed 33016 times
BG-44.jpg
BG-44.jpg (376.37 KiB) Viewed 33016 times
Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!

AnYun

Re: Tow-line (Vintage, Nos.)

Postby AnYun » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:27 pm

You have got some very nice looking gliders there! I have seen them at the Swedish oldtimer champs, and can testify that they are good fliers as well. The Uppåt is not an A1 class glider, it's the old Swedish class S2, which is roughly equal to the A2 gliders in size and weight, but limited by span instead of wing area.
You can find more information about these gliders in the SMOS plan archive, http://smos.homeunix.net/modellregister/en/modell/164/ (BG44) and http://smos.homeunix.net/modellregister/en/modell/118/ (Uppåt)

AnYun

Postby AnYun » Sun Aug 27, 2017 12:35 pm

I'm currently building a model in the same class, called Hector (see plan at http://smos.homeunix.net/modellregister/en/modell/103/). It is built almost entirely of hardwood, with balsa just used for some infills. I hope to have it ready at this years oldtimer champs, but I'm running out of time...
Attachments
Hector.jpg
Hector.jpg (534.54 KiB) Viewed 32949 times

staubkorb

Postby staubkorb » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:14 am

Thanks for the additional info, AnYun. I had seen pictures of the models from the contests, but was not aware of the names or classes. When Ronald mentioned that he was willing to "release" them, I jumped on the opportunity.

I'm repairing a few punctures caused by a wing joiner that escaped its packaging and trying to get one of my rather old (like maybe 50 years) towlines checked out as to whether it is still useable (0.9mm monofil). I also have a reel of 1.6mm monofil of the same vintage.

I also debating building a "SPERBER"-We 371 - a plan that I've had for a number of years (too many planes, too little time...).
Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!

AnYun

Postby AnYun » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:29 pm

The Hector in the photo above has finally been finished and test flown. After some adjustments it seemed to fly nice, and thus got its ticket for a trip to the oldtimer champs next weekend :)
Attachments
201808.jpg
201808.jpg (386.7 KiB) Viewed 32248 times

staubkorb

Postby staubkorb » Mon Aug 27, 2018 2:38 pm

Beautiful! Where are the champs being held this year?

The weather has, for me, been unbearable. MUCH too hot (even for most of the younger guys in the club), or much too windy - or both - so I still haven't been able to get my oldies into the air properly. At least the crops are cut and the temps have gone down to COLD (within just a few days) - but for the WIND...

If Ronald makes it to the contest, Give him my warmest regards.

Pete

AnYun

Postby AnYun » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:16 pm

Thanks! The OT-champs are held near Tomelilla in the southernmost part of Sweden. It was held on the same place last year, unfortunately in apalling weather. If you are interested, you can see a report (in Swedish) from the competition at http://smos.homeunix.net/sm17.html. Follow the links on the page for photos.
/Andrea

Return to “Gliders”