Indoor Flying with the O.F.F.C.

The lighter side of things

Moderator: staubkorb

kittyfritters

Re: Indoor Flying with the O.F.F.C.

Postby kittyfritters » Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:04 pm

We did not have an O.F.F.C. meeting this week. Don, our president, could not contact any of the three venues we have on the phone to confirm availability. We are still searching for a venue for next week's Unlimited Scale contest. Panorama is unsuitable being the smallest venue we fly in since some of the indoor scale ships have 30 inch wing spans and do not turn that tight, and it has a really fierce air conditioning system that we cannot shut off for the contest. The floor replacement at Stonehurst is progressing slower than predicted and painting the markings on the new floor may still be in progress next week. We have not yet heard if Branford will be available. We have approached the CD, Bill Watson, with the possibility of having the contest outdoors at Stonehurst or postponing it again. Will post the decision by Tuesday.
Ubi sublata omnia praecepta legis

kittyfritters

Postby kittyfritters » Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:26 pm

Per Don Martin, President, and Bill Watson, CD,

The Unlimited Scale Contest will be held Wednesday, Sept. 26, 9:00 AM, outdoors, at Stonehurst.

Don called the park staff and they will turn the sprinklers off Tuesday and Wednesday morning so that the field will be dry for us.

Don't be too enthusiastic about what you bring to fly...its outdoors, but the field is a bit smaller than the Grassy Knoll.

KF

kittyfritters

Postby kittyfritters » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:46 am

OK, I did compete in the Unlimited Scale contest on September 26th, but did so badly that I was embarrassed to post about it. For continuity's sake I may as well get it over with.

The contest was, indeed, held outdoors at Stonehurst. It really was a beautiful morning, clear, and only a slight breeze. The wind held off until 11:00 AM. Eight people flew but there were 13 models. Amazingly enough, Bill Watson brought only one entry. Dave Gee brought a Dumas T-34 and a Clipped Wing Monocoupe. Barry Dougherty brought a Piper Cub as did Bill Watson and Don Butman who brought two and a peanut Pilatus Porter. Don Smith had a Comet Porterfield. Don Martin showed up with a Guillow's Cessna 180 and Hugh Lnaghans ahd an Aeronca Champ. I had nothing new to fly my SE5 being framed but uncovered (I did start the covering at the AMA EXPO but that's a post of another thread.) so I took a couple of my Beaver prototypes and a Pilatus Porter prototype down from the ceiling and put fresh rubber in them.

The strange thing was that with all the experience there and good weather everyone was having trouble getting anything to fly. It was nearly the end of the session when models started flying. Scale judging was a Mooney linup

The results were:

1. Dave Gee Monocoupe 101.2 seconds (includesl 16 scale points)
    2. Don Smith Porterfield 96.1 seconds (10 points)
    3. Bill Watson Piper Cub 62.0 seconds (14 points)
    4. Don Butman Pilatus Porter 59.7 seconds (6 points)
    5. Barry Daugherty Piper Cub 46.8 seconds (15 points)
    6. Don Martin Cessna 180 46.1 seconds (12 points)
    7. Howard Littman Beaver (U-6B) 38.7 seconds (8 points)
    8. Hugh Langhans Aeronca 36.8 seconds (4 points)

Scale_Contest_1.png
Scale_Contest_1.png (201.31 KiB) Viewed 101 times

My Porter and one of my Beavers ended up cartwheeling in and tearing their wings off. Should have left them on the ceiling. Six years ago, when they were built, I could get a minute out of them. Oh, Well!

I did not go to the Mini-Stick contest on October 31. It was Halloween and I had to put up the decorations before the Trick-or-Treating started. No one gave me any pictures or any times.
The results were:

1. Bill Watson
    2. Bill Watson (With so few entries the CD decided to let both of his count.)
    3. Jim Leuken
    4.Bud Matthews
    5.Don Butman

The next contest, No-Cal Scale, will be on November 28. With the Pearl Harbor No-Cal contest coming up on December 7 I expect that there will be many Pearl Harbor models at this contest.

Return to “Indoor Free Flight”