Peanut Build Aborted

The lighter side of things
kittyfritters

Peanut Build Aborted

Postby kittyfritters » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:35 am

The O.F.F.C. contest for August is Peanut Scale. I knew that there were some peanuts in the stack of kits in my closet (or under the workbench, or in storage containers) so, not having the time to design my own with what else I have going on, I decided to built the first one I came across. That turned out to be a Peck Miles M.18. I looked at it and decided that while it was not ideal for competition I would build it anyway.

This was one of those evening builds while watching television with my wife. It went together quite simply and was nearly complete. Tuesday, I moved the building board to my garage workshop because the house cleaner was coming. Later that evening, while moving some things around the shop to do some production cutting I dropped something on the building board...something heavy. The fuselage of this thing is, or was, slab sided sheet balsa and all made of 1/32" sheet.

Oh,well. The contest is still two weeks away and I'll just have to see what is the next peanut kit in the pile.

A day later I remembered that I had given all my other peanut kits away! :o

Peanuts are not really my thing for competition. When I build one it's just for fun. Well, my warped idea of fun. (I'm the guy that built the Stuka tested by the Japanese and the Spitfire captured by the Germans.) When you build to a small size I think it's best to build a model of an airplane that was small to begin with. Looking over the possibilities I narrowed my twisted selection to Steve Wittman's D12 Bonzo and the Mignet HM.280. The Bonzo might be difficult to get to turn in the Stonehurst gym and I would have had to draw the plans in detail myself. With a little research on the web (while watching television mysteries with my wife) I found a French plan for a peanut HM.293 so I decided to go for the "flea". I've had previous experience with the Pou du Ciel configuration and once I get it trimmed in pitch getting a tight turn will be no problem. It's a bit draggy to be competitive but it should raise some eyebrows.

To be continued...
Ubi sublata omnia praecepta legis

kittyfritters

Re: Peanut Build Aborted

Postby kittyfritters » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:56 am

Well, I printed out the HM.293 plan full size. I looked at it and thought ,"Really?!!" Now I know why I usually don't build anything scale smaller than a dimer and 1:16 scale is my favorite size. Actually, given the time I would like to build this one. With the time I have I have to select something simpler.

...To be continued...

kittyfritters

Postby kittyfritters » Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:35 pm

I decided to go with John Barryman's plan for the Sonex. It's about as simple as a scale model can get aside from, having to plunge mold the canopy, and there are many color schemes available. As in most plans there are a few things left to the imagination but nothing serious. I've already created a laser cutting file (2 actually) for the necessary parts.

...photos tomorrow...

kittyfritters

Postby kittyfritters » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:18 am

I will finish the Sonex but I will not be flying in the contest next week. I now have an appointment with my orthopedic surgeon. I do have some .005 inch material to make the canopy. I have no idea why .020 inch material is specified in the plans. I have also cut 1/20" inch sheet parts, will use 1/20" strip stock, and will print the skins on Gampi tissue in a test of my new printer...with waterproof ink. If this works well I will be using waterproof ink for the skins in all my kits.

More later,

Howard

Return to “Indoor Free Flight”