Bristol brownie dime scale

The fine art of those finishing touches
Bearbear

Bristol brownie dime scale

Postby Bearbear » Sat May 27, 2017 12:56 pm

I have been away for a while. Building a new BB. I want to cover with preshrunk white tissue mist with alcohol and mist with silver spray. Whats the best way to add letters and numbers

rgroener

Re: Bristol brownie dime scale

Postby rgroener » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:45 pm

I apply glue with a gluestick to the back of the tissue before I cut the letters.
Just let the glue dry before you cut them out.
Positioning of the letters can be done easily. If they are at the right position, just ad some moisture through the tissue letter and the glue will be reactivated.

Hope that helps. There was a nice article, not shure where I found it.

Roman

Pete Fardell

Postby Pete Fardell » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:48 am

Thanks for that description, Roman. I've often wondered how the tissue markings look so perfect on your models! I'm certainly going to try that next time. Of course I'll still need to cut the letters out neatly to start with. Do you usually have a paper printout of the letters and just cut through to a layer of tissue underneath, or is there a better way?
Pete

PS We need some more of your lovely Swiss weather please. We seem to have used up the last lot you sent over.

rgroener

Postby rgroener » Tue Jun 13, 2017 5:54 am

I found an older description with some more details if you are interested... It was originaly posted on HPA.

Pete, your question is also answered there, printout with several tissue layers under it. :)
About ordering nice weather, just send my the requested date and amount. I will check what I can do :D

I learned the technique from "Tim the inspector" on his Howard Pete build (http://www.smallflyingartsforum.com/YaB ... 57915798/0).

It works just fine, I use it on all my tissue coloured planes. The biggest problem was always to add the letters accurate enough to look right at the end.

This time I used the cut out pattern to align the letters ont the wing. This way, the spacing and alignment will be right without to much effort since you have the cut out pattern anyway...
Still not perfect, but it looks much better than positioning the letters "freehand".

Most of the time I teared the nice letters while adding gluestick to them when already cut out. To avoid this, I now add the glue with the stick to the tissue before I cut out the letters. Right after taking the tissue from the pre shrinking frame, I add glue to the whole tissue and let it dry for at least 12 hours. (If you dont wait long enough, your letters will stick together and sometimes there is no chance to separate them again)
I cut all the lettering of one size in one cut. This way you are sure that all the letters are absolutely identical. Just add the wanted quantity of tissue layers under the printed pattern.

Adding the letters through the cut out pattern to its position is simple. I use a wet paper tissue on the top of the letter to add some moisture to soften the glue. This way, you can freely adjust the position and if right, fix it to this position with some water.

Best regards Roman

small addition... on the last plane, I did add the glue after the cutting. I took some glue with a wet brush from the stick and applied it to the back of the letters before adding them to the wing. It worked nicely and you dont have the problem with the tissue layers sticking together
Attachments
R0012365_klein.jpg
R0012365_klein.jpg (295.88 KiB) Viewed 16443 times
R0012362_klein.jpg
R0012362_klein.jpg (296.33 KiB) Viewed 16443 times
R0012361_klein.jpg
R0012361_klein.jpg (296.67 KiB) Viewed 16443 times
R0012360_klein.jpg
R0012360_klein.jpg (295.1 KiB) Viewed 16443 times
R0012359_klein.jpg
R0012359_klein.jpg (299.23 KiB) Viewed 16443 times

Pete Fardell

Postby Pete Fardell » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:09 pm

Thanks, Roman, that's exactly the perfect little tutorial I was hoping for!
Looking forward to seeing the Bristol Brownie, Bearbear- it's always a nice subject.

On the weather, Roman- three months warm sunshine please starting immediately, with a just few overnight showers to keep the grass green. If you could take all our high winds off our hands that would be great too (no charge for those, just send a very large self addressed envelope) :D

Return to “Covering materials & techniques”