West Wings 24" Spitfire Mk.22

Find out what our readers have on their building boards
staubkorb

Re: West Wings 24" Spitfire Mk.22

Postby staubkorb » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:17 pm

My earlier plan was to make up the radiators from balsa - the plastic ones are >1.2gm apiece - but the weight savings came at an unacceptable loss of robustness and those that I deemed "robust enough" saved only 0.1 gram raw. The beast does use the protuberances to land on, so I did end up going for the plastic. Remaining to do - cockpit, pilot, canopy and exhaust stacks - and, of course, paint.

Another small test hop with 250 stretch-wound turns on the 4 x 3/32 motor (at the flying patch this morning) scared the bejesus out of me! Gradual climbing right turn with only a slight bank up to about 30 feet, then straight as an arrow toward the dreaded Blackberry bush (landed thankfully 10 feet short)! There was no sign of tip stall or any other problems typical of the breed - and it was a bit breezy.

Weight for today's "fright" - 60 grams (no canopy). A bit heavy, but there is a LOT of wing...
Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!

staubkorb

Postby staubkorb » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:35 pm

A big brush fire in the area where I do most of my Free Flight flying and testing has put a "hold" on further activity. Normal rc flying is not affected tho the fire nearly reached the parking area, so I am not totally restricted :| . SEVEN tank trucks were involved in the containment which lasted nearly 5 hours and the private "garden" that also harbors a six hive bee colony seemed to be the ignition point (the hives/bees survived). 10,000 sq. meters was scorched to the dirt, but the danged blackberry thicket wasn't touched :twisted: .
Comparing Spammers to a pile of organic waste is an insult to the organic waste!

Robert Pajas

Postby Robert Pajas » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:36 pm

So clean build! Very nice model, beautiful spinner!

staubkorb

Postby staubkorb » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:46 pm

Thanks Robert! Believe it or not, the spinner is the supplied vacuumed formed one. I jus tried extra hard to get it mounted well :) .

I have done hardly any modeling for the past 2 years due to various reasons, many family related (good), but one really negative issue has been the lack of any interest by my club to even attempt to get an indoor flying opportunity - even tho there are around ten members who are interested (9 are for rc, one FF). another has been the excessive weather we've had - either too HOT, too wet, or too windy or a combination of the conditions.

We are presently in a semi-lockdown due to the pandemic making our field essentially closed. Hopefully all here have been spared.

staubkorb

Postby staubkorb » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:23 pm

Within the last 3 weeks, I've finally had the Spit out for some test flights. I really messed up the first day by installing the wrong motor - a braided (and TIRED) 4-strand 3/32nd x 16" instead of the proper, like sized, 1/8th. Needless to say, the model did NOT do much of anything :oops: !

About a week later, the weather again presented its nicer side so the Spitty again joined my SAAB for anther outing - with the correct motor :roll: ... but... after two "attempts" with about 750 turns (theoretic max of 1350),
1:- the model stalls under power but glide is so-so.
2:- the model is VERY critical about launch attitude - must be released with wing banked no more than 10°
3:- prop shaft was one with the "standard" commercial round hook causing the Gray loop on the rubber to flop over and creating severe vibration
4:- stretching motor for a third attempt revealed severe nicks - aborted

The motor was one that I have used in my Cloud Tramp (the year before last :roll: ) with at least 10 near full turns...

I've since made up a new motor, replaced the prop shaft with a reverse "S" hook, and the back-yard test today proved the worthiness of the design - Grey loop stayed centered and no vibration.

kittyfritters

Postby kittyfritters » Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:43 pm

The trick with a Spitfire, or any rubber powered model with pointed wing tips, is getting the transition from powered flight to glide right. It's easy to trim it to glide and easy to trim it for powered flight, however, the transition can result in a tip stall with a resulting spin. This one, with slightly clipped tips, should not be quite so sensitive. Hope you have enough washout in it. :?:

KF
Ubi sublata omnia praecepta legis

staubkorb

Postby staubkorb » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:58 pm

The 4 strand 1/8 motor still seems to be a bit anemic, although it works perfectly with my similar size/weight (Sterling) Mustang. It has quite a bit of washout, but too much decalage so a bit of surgery is needed. I have to also re-check the lateral balance.

Return to “Construction Projects”